Stuttering Audio

General forum for 4DO
Darth Woobie

Stuttering Audio

Postby Darth Woobie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi all,

I've owned an FZ-1 since day 2 of availability. (Day 1 was spent at work and by the time I got off the store was closed). I love my system and am glad that someone has picked up where Freedo left off.

I've installed 4do on a few different machines of varying power. One thing I've noticed on a few of them (OK most) is that when I'm playing a game, the frame rate that runs at 60FPS drops down to like 15 or so.. And the audio skips or stutters. I thought it was a bug until I happen to try it on an older dell laptop. Worked perfectly. 3 hours later, I realized that I had been playing Killing time enough. So I stopped.

I have put the all the prerequisites on each machine. I keep 4do on a portable drive and the images as well. It will behave the same if I put it on the local drive or not.

Brief system summary:
All running Win7 ultimate or professional. Most dual core of one flavor or another. (one quad core) Fresh copy of Win7 as well. All have at least 4GB RAM.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
BryWI

Re: Stuttering Audio

Postby BryWI » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:12 pm

There is still some timing issues with getting everything to behave correctly that need to be looked into yet. It sounds like you are already running from cd images instead of actual discs. Just for information sakes... Can you post what video cards are in the machines that are stuttering? Also, Some games will stutter more than others. Killing Time is probably one of the games that tax the 3do system the most.
Darth Woobie

Postby Darth Woobie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks for replying so quickly:

Here are the specs of the systems that have the stuttering audio:

Figured I'd give you most of the system specs:
Laptops:
IBM t60
Win7 (32)
4gb - 3 usable
ATI Mobility x1300

Asus G50vt
win7 (64)
4GB
Nvidia 9800m gs dedicated

Desktops:
Dell Optiplex 320
Built in graphics card (Can't remember what it is) also put in an Nvidia 9500 (Can't remember what version)
4gigs RAM
Win7 (64)

Scratch built system
Built in graphics subsystem - Intel G45 chipset.
8gigs RAM
Win7 (64)
- haven't gotten a good card for this yet :)
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 am

That is such a random lot of computers for them all to be acting up like that. Do any of them share the same Motherboard chipsets by any chance?

Its weird though because my desktop does the stuttering audio, where my laptop runs it perfectly fine. My desktop is an old quad core while my laptop is a core i7. I haven't really been able to notice any specific thing causing it to not run correctly in the circumstances where it happens. There still has been the claim of the emulator timing needs more looking into.
incrediclint

Postby incrediclint » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Happens on my PC too. The other freedo core emu 3doPlay doesn't have that issue, but that one isn't really open source either. (only has the freedocore source available, nothing else.)

Not a fan of c# though, so I'd point my finger at that. :o
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm

I think it has to do with a timing mechanism 4DO relies on: Thread.Sleep. Some machines out there will only have 15-millisecond granularity. The symptoms don't happen on my machine, but I have a friend that sees it. I'll be able to add some logging and run 4DO on his machine to test this theory. If that's all true, I need to check out some other emulators for a more reliable mechanism.
Darth Woobie

Postby Darth Woobie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 am

If you get logging implemented, I'll gladly throw it on my system and send logs in.. anything to help.

Return to “General Forum”