Cannot Launch 4DO

General forum for 4DO
iamnaeth

Cannot Launch 4DO

Postby iamnaeth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey all, hopefully someone here can help. I've tried to get this working with all three of the most recent beta versions. I've installed the frameworks and all the stuff from the download page. I'm running windows 7. When I tried to run 4DO.exe, nothing happens and it says "4DO has stopped working." I understand there should be a little more going on than that. Should there be a fourdo.settings file?
iamnaeth

Re: Cannot Launch 4DO

Postby iamnaeth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Found my error log. I've attempted to install .net and slimdx multiple times now...

11/27/2011 6:17:14 PM 4DO Starting up
11/27/2011 6:17:15 PM Unhandled exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX, Version=4.0.11.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'SlimDX, Version=4.0.11.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9'
at FourDO.UI.GameCanvas.InitializeComponent()
at FourDO.UI.GameCanvas..ctor()
at FourDO.UI.Main.InitializeComponent()
at FourDO.UI.Main..ctor()
at FourDO.Program.Main(String[] args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:38 am

Are you sure The SlimDX completely installed and that you installed the .NET 4.0 version of SlimDX? IF the installer is exiting and saying that you do not have the .net 4.0 frame work try the full sdk installer of .net 4.0 before trying to install SlimDX again. That installer is at, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17851
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 am

It's definitely an issue of loading SlimDX as a dependency. As usual, double-check what you have installed...

It is also possible that 64 bit machines will see this even with the correct version of SlimDX installed. I think Bry noticed this as well. In this situation, installing the "SlimDX SDK" instead may do the trick.

If that works out, then ultimately that would be a mistake with 4DO; users shouldn't be required to install the SDK like that. Sorry!
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 am

Just to clear this up, I have never actually had to install the full sdk of slimdx, just the full sdk install of microsoft's .net 4.0 . There is a bug in slimdx that in some certain circumstances it requires the full .net 4.0 install as opposed to the client install version. When this occurs, the slimdx install will complain that .net 4.0 is not installed, when in fact it actually is. The link I posted above will fix that error and allow slimdx to install correctly. It's not a problem with 4DO! :)
Darth Woobie

Postby Darth Woobie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 am

Its interesting that I've only been able to get 4do to run when I install the SDK.

I'll do a fresh install of windows and try the link provided a few posts ago. I'll let you all know if it works.
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:46 am

BryWI wrote:Just to clear this up, I have never actually had to install the full sdk of slimdx, just the full sdk install of microsoft's .net 4.0 . There is a bug in slimdx that in some certain circumstances it requires the full .net 4.0 install as opposed to the client install version. When this occurs, the slimdx install will complain that .net 4.0 is not installed, when in fact it actually is. The link I posted above will fix that error and allow slimdx to install correctly. It's not a problem with 4DO! :)

Ohhh, okay. I certainly misunderstood. Darn. That may mean I need to strap in the later version of SlimDX (assuming they've fixed it).
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:12 pm

This was the same problem I had, I only had the .NET 4 Client Profile, but after installing the full SDK installer of Microsoft .NET that BryWI linked to, it worked. Added Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended to the list of installed programs in programs and features.

Although the emulator seems to freeze for a split second roughly every one second now, but I think that's probably more due to my pc hardware. But at least now I can use my logitech pad that I couldn't with the Phoenix version of FreeDO.

Return to “General Forum”