How to set up a LightGun???

General forum for 4DO
Johnny
Site Admin

Re: How to set up a LightGun???

Postby Johnny » Tue May 22, 2012 1:41 pm

BryWI wrote:I believe he was referring to those files in his post above. Sounds like he already did give it a good go at getting it to work. Oh well, maybe someday it will be figured out.

And what he is referring to the FreeDO Source Code needed, I am sure he is referring to the rest of the code that was not released as open source. Example: GUI Interface and how it interfaces with the core.

Yes, that's correct. I'd seen the source to that "lightgun" plugin as well. I was unable to determine how the FreeDO UI makes use of it exactly.

I didn't know that it actually works in FreeDO, though. That may be enough for me to break out the disassembler again and figure out what's going on. I might give it another shot.
paubi

Postby paubi » Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 pm

many thanks for the responses, now i think i understand.
I have tested a pair of things in freedo:
eliminating lightgun.dll from its folder causes the trigger not to response, but the crosshair works, (in relative coordinates), so the fragment where the coordinates are given from mouse to emu must be inside the emu source.

Another thing is that I have noticed you have to open the Freedo config file and set "HighRes" to "true". Else, 3do's crosshair isnt well aligned to emu's crosshair.

In fact, I have a lot of emus that have lightgun support:
bluemsx, Emuzwin, Atari800,Vice (c64), Fceux (nes), mess (master system), snes9x, mame, pcsxr/2 (dual lightgun with a pluggin called nuvee, developed by shalma).

and there are many others (demul, m2, supermodel...) but i dont have such a powerfull computer (at least in my cab)

well... all that was to say that in any console i have played, in gun games at the begining, you have to choose the controller you want to use ( pad, lightgun, sometimes mouse), and if you choose for example lightgun, the pad wont work. BUT in the 3do this seems not to be this way. Seems you got only to plug in the gun, and the crosshair is the same that you use with the pad, and the two controllers works the same time.
From my experience that is not usual. In fact the gun seems actually only works when you pull trigger, cause it dont track the crosshair as the pad do. I would say the gun in 3do only reports the coordinates when trigger is pressed (at least in the games i have tested).
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Wed May 23, 2012 1:39 am

Yes, that is correct on the trigger thing. It behaves in a similar fashion as to how the NES zapper worked. It takes it's readings only when the trigger is pulled. It's not like how Wiimotes work these days. I can't remember if it used the similar NES tactic of a frame (or maybe more than one?) of white squares on a black background for detection of a hit. I dont think it did though. I could very well be wrong. It's been a long time since I used my 3DO gun (my 3do is near dead and I dont have a CRT tv anymore).

Also, the 3DO detects that a gun, mouse, pad, etc is hooked up and acts accordingly. Most of the American Laser Games titles can also use the mouse, and It worked better that way on the tv I was using. I think there is some sort of identifier in the controller itself that tells the console. But again, thats just a guess on my part.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 am

paubi, I am unable to get the lightgun support working in FreeDO. I changed the first line in the box to...

Joy,Mouse,*lightgun,

but after I apply it the third box changes to

lightgun=Empty

I believe that my 3rd box is incorrect? What does yours say? I don't even get a cursor or anything different. I wanted to test it out to see if it was actually doing lightgun or mouse support. If the cursor for the game was moving i believe it is actually mouse support. At this point I would just like to see it working since you got it working. That config for FreeDO is ultra confusing....

EDIT: I notice that if you hit F2 for mouse lock that it will actually emulate the mouse. It brings up a red cursor and the mouse moves the in-game cursor too on american laser games titles. This is definitely not light gun support if I have to use the Mouse lock option.

EDIT2: Ok I figured out lightgun support in FreeDO 2.1. The first line is actually the connected devices. When playing games with the lightgun, you would not have a Joypad and a mouse connected to the 3DO. This was confusing the crap out of the machine or something. I put in JUST *lightgun. Then I still had to use the mouse lock option (F2) to bring up the red cursor. NOW, in the american laser games titles I was getting the marks that show up on screen when you fire at the screen with a gun. And it was no longer emulating the mouse. In order for it to be accurate, I had to turn on the interpolation option under video.

Johnny, here is something interesting...

according to this translated page...

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 59&act=url

the first few things on a line for the FreeDO controller config are supposedly signals (coming from the controller?) but for the config for the mouse the signals translate out to 0,1,0,0,1,0,0,1 according to that page...

p - generates a signal level of VCC - '1 '
a - generates a signal level of GND - '0 '

Might this itself be a clue to getting mouse support?
paubi

Postby paubi » Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am

thats it.
And you got reason. I didnt understand well the first line of the configuration.

I had written "Joy,Mouse,*lightgun" and it worked in "corpse killer" and "demolition man" because they seem not to have mouse support, and its actually like wirtting "Joy,*lightgun". And in those games you can use the pad in port 1 and the lightgun in pad 2 to move the same in-game crosshair.

In "Crime patrol", and suppose in all American LG, you can configure "Joy,*lightgun" or "Mouse,*lightgun. In this case and pressing f2 you controll the 3do's mouse and gun with the same pc mouse.
And, i didnt know that, does the 3dos american laser games have dual lightgun support? that would be awesome! IN fact, in Crime patrol you can play with (joy and lightgun), (joy and mouse), and (mouse and lightgun) but can be played with two guns? do you know?

I have tried to change the "lightgun=empty" line but didnt notice any change.
paubi

Postby paubi » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am

psd: do you know if Jurassic park has gun support in the 3do?
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Cool. As long as I can get FreeDO to work with its light gun support, I should be able to attach a debugger/disassembler and intercept what the UI is sending to the FreeDO core. That's what I did for the basic controller support. I'll give it a try sometime.
paubi

Postby paubi » Thu May 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Wish it not to be too difficult.
tanks for the try!
paubi

Postby paubi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 am

mm this seems to be stopped.
any change with lightgun support?
now i'm using guncon2+wingun+PC+CRT.
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 am

Just confirming for remaining curiosity: I attempted this again but failed. I even disassembled FreeDO again and tried to make sense of how they interfaced with their mouse support. :x

It's a shame that this portion was not open source. If this is attempted again, it's probably best to track someone from that project and ask for the source code.

Return to “General Forum”