How to set up a LightGun???

General forum for 4DO
Wobb

How to set up a LightGun???

Postby Wobb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:36 am

Hello again friends :D

I bought the AimTrak lightgun and was wondering how to set it up in 4DO. I had no trouble setting up my gamepad, and the lightgun is recognized in there. I just have no clue how to set it up. I am using 1.1.0.0, as this is currently compatible with HyperSpin and HyperLaunch 2.x.

Is there something I'm missing? How can I make this work? The lightgun has no problem emulating my mouse cursor..so I'm thinking it shouldn't take much. Please help me out. Thanks!
Viiral

Re: How to set up a LightGun???

Postby Viiral » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 am

4DO does not support Lightgun as far as i can see.
Also Lightguns does not work on LCD, only CRT so there must be some mouse emulation.
Last edited by Viiral on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Daedalus Encounter ~ Ari (Tia Carrere) <3 ~

{ My Retro Box }{ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, Socket-AM3 ~ CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T ~ RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1600MHz 8GB ~ GFX: ASUS GEFORCE GTX 560 DC 1GB }
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:42 am

Yes, it is true, there is no lightgun support yet. I put a bit of time into trying to add support, actually. The mechanics of accepting input from the user are definitely easy (I'd use the mouse for sure). Performing the actual emulation is the difficulty I ran into. I have been unable to determine how to trick the 3DO software into thinking there's a mouse or flight stick plugged in. I will revisit it again someday.
Wobb

Postby Wobb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

Virul - The AimTrak Lightgun is made specifically to be used on lcd, led, plasma and older tvs. This is why I bought it and it works great on my lcd tv.

In fact, when using it, it becomes the mouse. The on-screen arrow moves as I move the gun, and the trigger emulates the left mouse button. I can open files/programs by shooting the icon :lol:

But sadly, it does not emulate a mouse in 4DO, at least not that I can figure.
paubi

Postby paubi » Sun May 20, 2012 3:11 am

hello, i'm new here.
i have read you are interested on lightgun emulation, and i was watching for a 3do emu for use the lightgun games. Ii think they are very interesting so there are such rare games as Corpse Killer or old tucson.
i had tested Freedo 2.1 two days ago and have met that it has a lightgun code:
FreeDO 2.1\PBUS\pbus-3do-sdk\lightgun.dll
Once opened the emu, in the gui, you have to go to - config - controls - plugins,and in the first input you have to write: Joy,Mouse,*lightgun, and then, save.

i have tested it with corpse killer and seems to "work" but the second button dont work nor offscreen shoot (i have read is used in some american laser game).

Another question is that this "works" emulating lightgun through the mouse, but doesnt work with pc lightguns (aimtraks or ems topguns), and thats because the way the coordenates are given to the emu, that i think must be absolute to work with lightguns.

if you want to implement pc lightgun support it would be nice not to add sight or crosshairs, or add an option to disable it (must be necessari if played with mouse)

Dual lightgun/mice can be done with a function called rawinput, that is used in mame and more emus. (Old tucson supported 2p? not sure)

I wish this helps in any way...
going to sleep
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 am

I completely forgot about those source files that come with FreeDO 2.1 and it's lightgun.dll. Johnny, might these sources include what is necessary to getting the emulated 3do to think a light gun is plugged in?
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon May 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Yeah, it's a step in the right direction. Viktor told me about that feature in FreeDO too. I agree that emulating the mouse for 4DO would be best way to get "light gun" support integrated.

I was unable to figure out how FreeDO interfaces with its plugins and core, though. At one point I thought I was making progress, but it turns out that the data I was emulating for the mouse was just being interpreted as regular controller input by the FreeDO core. So, 4DO's controller emulation is merely capable of emulating regular controllers. I think it has to do with the first few bytes sent to the core emulation...

Right now those bytes are hard-coded always kept the same because once I found a working value I kept it. But I don't know if FreeDO is doing it that way, and believe they somehow indicate what type of controller is connected. I could not determine what the "correct" value for these first few bytes would be for a mouse input device, although I'm not positive that's the issue. However, the fact that I couldn't get an individual device to behave as anything than a plain controller indicates this. I'm thinking the FreeDO guys figured it out.

If I had the FreeDO source code, I could make sense of it. :(
paubi

Postby paubi » Mon May 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello johnny, in freedo 2.1 there is the “lightgun.dll“ and a folder with files i dont understand i think some are .src. arent those what you need?
paubi

Postby paubi » Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm

i was wrong, the archives i said actually are:

pbusdev.h
lightgun.mdsp
lightgun.cpp
lightgun.o
lightgun.def
liblightgun.dll.a
lightgun.dll

dont know if they can be useful
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon May 21, 2012 9:53 pm

I believe he was referring to those files in his post above. Sounds like he already did give it a good go at getting it to work. Oh well, maybe someday it will be figured out.

And what he is referring to the FreeDO Source Code needed, I am sure he is referring to the rest of the code that was not released as open source. Example: GUI Interface and how it interfaces with the core.

Return to “General Forum”