To translate 4DO, you will be updating "resource files" (.resx) matching the language of choice. There are currently only two files. These files contain records, one for each word or phrase to be translated.
Languages currently in progress are:
- English (Johnny) - Done, obviously
Russian (Viktor) - Done
Portuguese (Enio Marconcini) - Done
French (Benjamin Siskoo) - Done
Chinese_Simplified (money) - Done
Spanish (Antonio "Bloodbat" Ramirez) - Done
German (lenne) - Done
If you would like to contribute translations for a language, I intend for the process to be:
- 1. Private message me in the forums with your preferred language and an email address. Also, consider posting on this thread to "reserve" a language.
2. I will update this post indicating that you are working on it.
3. I will email you the .resx files for editing.
4. Fill out translations for the language.
5.a. If you want a particular entry to just use the English default translation, delete the entry.
5.b. If you leave an entry blank, it will show up blank in the 4DO interface. (I will probably delete these for you)
6. When you are done, email me back the completed .resx files.
7. Wait for the next release, and enjoy our thanks for helping!
There are several ways to work with .resx files, but the simplest is to just use a text editor. More sophisticated standalone resource file editors exist, so you could find them searching Google. Also, Visual Studio has decent tools for this built-in.