General forum for 4DO
Rochabian

Question about Vsync and Fullscreen Mode

Postby Rochabian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:30 am

Hi everyone!
First of all, thanks for 3do emulation revival
Great works with 4DO!

I've got 2 questions about screen mode :

1-Can the fullscreen resolution be set in a menu??
I want to use 4DO in a mamecab able to display the native resolution of 320X240
Can the fullscreen mode be set in the menu because for now it use the desktop resolution.
I've tried to set my desktop to 320X240 and then run fullscreen but it seems there is some stretching because pixels don't look very good.

2-What about Vsync?
There is no option about vsync in the menu
Are you working on it?
My ATI drivers have Vsync forced but it don't seems to work (perhaps because it's Direct2D?)

Thanks
Good luck for the future versions!
Rochabian

Re: Question about Vsync and Fullscreen Mode

Postby Rochabian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

about 320x240 mode
I've been able to set a decent image in fullscreen with the switch --forceGDIrendering

But vsync doesn't work in this mode too
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:42 am

GDI rendering doesn't support vsync. As to vsync not working on your ati card... this is the first I have heard of this. Maybe it is because of the resolution you are using? The normal rending uses direct 3d 9. Are you seeing visual tearing of the screen?
Rochabian

Postby Rochabian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Ok
Perhaps can it be possible to disable stretching or filtering with D3D 9 with a switch in command line.
Because GDI renders wells for 320X240 mode but it seems to be slower (for example in Super Wing Commander)
About Vsync, you're right, i think i can see tearing because i'm in 15khz mode
I see tearing in Flashback when the title scroll from right to left for example.
I don't think it's an emulator issue finaly...
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:24 am

I can fill you in on some of the details, if it helps.

GDI Rendering will definitely be "slower", part of this is due to that it will skip rendering frames (every other frame) if it decides that it's performing too slowly. There is also no Vsync at all. So, it's pretty crappy.

The default, directx option doesn't skip frames and performs pretty well. There is VSync in this mode. The VSync refers just to the output window, though, and not the internals of the emulation... which brings me to sometime I've noticed...

I have noticed that sometimes when I watch a video in a game, I see the left/right tearing you mentioned, as if the core emulation isn't really "Vsynced". I do not know enough to say if this is a normal function of the 3DO system, or if there is something wrong in the emulation. I know there was a "vsync" available to 3DO developers, and it's possible that sometimes it just wasn't taken advantage of. But, if this is all you're seeing, then at least you're no worse off than the rest of us.

As BryWI mentioned, are you seeing a diagonal slice down the center of the screen when you have image smoothing turned off? I have seen this occur on a machine since I "fixed" it, so I believe it's still a problem sometimes (I probably just fixed it for my resolution, or video card). I will need to revisit it.
Rochabian

Postby Rochabian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:49 am

Yes, Directx works better but it adds blur on the native resolution 320X240 (surely because of stretching or filtering)
As i play 4DO on a CRT monitor in a mamecab able to display nicely the native 320x240 resolution,
for now, i think it renders better in GDI mode, but as you say, tearing can happen ans it's slower.

Perhaps in the future there will be an option to disable stretching in directx mode or an option to set the fullscren resolution, and then we will have the perfect rendering for a cab.

BTW, i want to thank the team because latests releases of 4DO are really great an improve the 3DO emulation experience.

It's simply the best 3DO emulator with regular updates!
Very nice
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 pm

I know this seems a dumb question to ask... Did you try turning off the "smooth image resizing" option and see how that looked? That option blurs the image, and I usually turn it off. Id rather see pixelation than blur.
Rochabian

Postby Rochabian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm

For sure i've disabled it ;) but at 320x240 fullscreen, Directx adds blur, i don't know why...
I think it's directx related

Return to “General Forum”