Configure input question

General forum for 4DO
trancechris

Configure input question

Postby trancechris » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Love this emulator! thanks for all the work put into it, finally a good 3do emulator =)

There is just one little problem i have from enjoying the games the way i want them..

When going into config input, i want to config the buttons to my ps3 joypad, but according to the config input settings there is only 1 device found and that is the keyboard :(

I use motionjoy for my joypad, and all other emulators i use finds the joypad except this one, why?

What can i do? im not really interested in using joy2key or something similar, beacause i find it to be a hassle also i am wanting to use fourdo for my frontend, and it's kind of hard for me to get it working with joy2key etc.. is there anyway to get fourdo at all to find my joypad? is it even possible? if yes, then what could be the problem for not finding my joypad? as mentioned before i have several other emulators that find the joypad without any problem.

Hope somebody can help me out, i really want to enjoy these games with my joy instead of keyboard.

Thanks in advance!
il_gattopardo

Re: Configure input question

Postby il_gattopardo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 am

I have a similar problem, but with the Xbox 360 wired gamepad. It's detected in 4DO 1.2.0.1, but it doesn't recognise whenever buttons are pressed on the gamepad. It works in absolutely everything else, much like trancechris' PS3 gamepad. Sorry to piggyback on his topic, but they seem related, perhaps even symptoms of the same overall issue. Thank you.
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:35 am

Okay, I have a PS3 controller, so I could try this out sometime. I wasn't aware that those work on the PC, actually.

I don't have an Xbox 360 controller to try, though. I borrowed one from someone to specifically add support for those. So I'm pretty sure that was working at one time. Perhaps somewhere along the way Xbox 360 controller support was broken? The fact that it detects the controller but doesn't react to button presses is odd.
trancechris

Postby trancechris » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Johnny!

That whould be much appriciated if you could do that..
Really want to get on playing some games :)
DJoneK

Postby DJoneK » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 am

I have a Wireless 360 gamepad and I can say it's working fine here on v1.2.0.2.

@il_gattopardo: Did you try adding a new "Set" and configuring that?
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:56 am

trancechris wrote:Hi Johnny!

That whould be much appriciated if you could do that..
Really want to get on playing some games :)

Well I think I solved it. I tried out MotionJoy, and I can't get any of the axi to work, only the D-Pad. But, you may know MotionJoy better than I do, so perhaps I'm using it wrong.

4DO was looking for devices by "Type", specifically it is looking for GamePad or Joystick. But, the MotionJoy was coming up as... FirstPerson?? What the hell?

I just found that I could instead search by "Class", one of which is GameControl. This seems to work for both the controllers I have on hand (some USB one, and this PS3 one through MotionJoy), but I no longer have the arsenal of controllers I was using when first getting things up and running. Could you PM me an email address so that I could send you a build? I'd be pretty embarassed if I released a change that broke the majority of controllers out there.

Also, DJonek, could I send a build to you in order to test the XBOX 360 controller?
il_gattopardo

Postby il_gattopardo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:48 am

DJoneK wrote:I have a Wireless 360 gamepad and I can say it's working fine here on v1.2.0.2.

@il_gattopardo: Did you try adding a new "Set" and configuring that?

Yes I did, several times. I even tried adding it as controller 2, and still nothing. It just doesn't register any button input whatsoever. Mine is a wired 360 gamepad, by the way. If I had a wireless receiver, I'd give it a shot.

@Johnny: The wired ones work on the PC without any problems whatsoever. It's actually quite wonderful, especially when it comes to PSX emulation.
Attachments
Configure Input Settings.JPG
My configure input settings screen, confirming that it detects my 360 controller as a joystick.
Configure Input Settings.JPG (54.84 KiB) Viewed 15991 times
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:42 pm

It occurs to me that I can upload test files on the forum here. Give this build a try... I think it will fix the PS3 controller issue. This includes a change to how 4DO detects devices.

However, I doubt this will fix the XBOX 360 controller problem. I worry that I'd need a similar controller to try it. 4DO does not look for 360 controllers explicitly, it just looks for gamepad controllers and works with them generically. The 360 controllers seem have their own interface (API) and such (to help identify buttons like X Y A B instead of 1,2,3,4...), which may explain why some games these days support ONLY those controllers. 4DO isn't wired up to this specialized API, most of the 360 controllers just happen to be available as generic controllers.

So, it's possible the controller is making itself available and capable only as the special 360 controller variety. Perhaps there's another driver out there for this generic controller capability? For example, I had to use MotionJoy to install drivers for the PS3 controller to get it working correctly.
Attachments
4DO_1.2.0.2.zip
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 745 times
trancechris

Postby trancechris » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Johnny wrote:It occurs to me that I can upload test files on the forum here. Give this build a try... I think it will fix the PS3 controller issue. This includes a change to how 4DO detects devices.

However, I doubt this will fix the XBOX 360 controller problem. I worry that I'd need a similar controller to try it. 4DO does not look for 360 controllers explicitly, it just looks for gamepad controllers and works with them generically. The 360 controllers seem have their own interface (API) and such (to help identify buttons like X Y A B instead of 1,2,3,4...), which may explain why some games these days support ONLY those controllers. 4DO isn't wired up to this specialized API, most of the 360 controllers just happen to be available as generic controllers.

So, it's possible the controller is making itself available and capable only as the special 360 controller variety. Perhaps there's another driver out there for this generic controller capability? For example, I had to use MotionJoy to install drivers for the PS3 controller to get it working correctly.

Thank you so much Johnny for taking the time to trying to get it to work with a ps3 joypad.. i REALLY appriciate it :)

So... I downloaded the build you attached in your post.. with that build fourdo don't even start for me.. the DebugLog looks like this:

2012-04-20 18:14:59 4DO Starting up
2012-04-20 18:14:59 Unhandled exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Det går inte att läsa in filen eller sammansättningen SlimDX, Version=4.0.11.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9 eller ett av dess beroenden. Den påträffade sammansättningens manifestdefinition matchar inte sammansättningsreferensen. (Undantag från HRESULT: 0x80131040)
Filnamn: SlimDX, Version=4.0.11.43, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9
vid FourDO.UI.GameCanvas.CreateChildCanvas()
vid FourDO.UI.GameCanvas..ctor()
vid FourDO.UI.Main.InitializeComponent()
vid FourDO.UI.Main..ctor()
vid FourDO.Program.Main(String[] args)

VARN: Loggningen av sammansättningsbindningen är inaktiverad.
Du kan aktivera felloggning för sammansättningsbindningar genom att ange registervärdet [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) till 1.
Obs! Prestanda kan försämras något med felloggning för sammansättningsbindningar.
Du kan inaktivera funktionen genom att ta bort registervärdet [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

The other builds in the download section however still works like before..

I'm no computer wiz so i really dont know what the text in the debuglog means..

Hope you can help me out & thanks once again.

edit: sorry, realized that some of the text was in swedish, ill run it through a translator:

2012-04-20 18:14:59 4DO Starting up
2012-04-20 18:14:59 Unhandled exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Can not load file or assembly SlimDX, Version = 4.0.11.43, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9 or one of its dependencies. It found, description of the manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
Filename: SlimDX, Version = 4.0.11.43, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9
in FourDO.UI.GameCanvas.CreateChildCanvas ()
in cm ³ FourDO.UI.GameCanvas .. ()
in FourDO.UI.Main.InitializeComponent ()
in cm ³ FourDO.UI.Main .. ()
at FourDO.Program.Main (String [] args)

WARN: The logging of the composition of the binding is disabled.
You can enable error logging for the composition of bonds by setting the registry value [HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Fusion! EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note Performance may deteriorate slightly with error logging for the assembly bindings.
You can turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Fusion! EnableLog].
il_gattopardo

Postby il_gattopardo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:37 pm

The new build crashed while starting for me too. Sorry. :(

Return to “General Forum”