1.3.1.0 Video Driver Crashing

General forum for 4DO
BryWI

1.3.1.0 Video Driver Crashing

Postby BryWI » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 am

I am not sure if others are getting these crashes but they randomly happen when starting up 4DO since the new video changes. It will freeze just before the 4DO window completely shows. The window will be frozen while still opaque on win7. It then crashes my video card driver and windows recovers it. 4DO video will be all white with a red outlined X through the screen after the driver recovery. Usually I restart 4DO and it is fine. It is happening enough while I am testing now though that it could be a legitimate problem. Or maybe it's just my laptop.

This is happening on an Nvidia GT 330M 1GB. I updated to the latest drivers and it is still doing it. There seems to be some relevant information in the log so I will post it here.

6/3/2012 7:19:51 PM Thread exception: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_DEVICELOST: Device lost (-2005530520)
at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Direct3D9.Device.Present()
at FourDO.UI.Canvases.SlimDXCanvas.Render()
at FourDO.UI.Canvases.SlimDXCanvas.SlimDXCanvas_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
6/3/2012 7:19:51 PM Thread exception: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_DEVICELOST: Device lost (-2005530520)
at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
6/3/2012 7:19:52 PM Thread exception: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_DEVICELOST: Device lost (-2005530520)
6/3/2012 7:19:52 PM Thread exception: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_DEVICELOST: Device lost (-2005530520)

That last smaller section just keeps repeating.

other specs

core i7 Q720
6GB RAM
Win7 64bit

I haven't been using 4DO on my other nvidia video card machine to know if it is happening on there yet. I am just kind of throwing this out there to see if others are noticing this at all. I also do not have any scale mode filters enabled so it might rule out the filters themselves, but could be something in the other changes for the filters.
Mister Negative

Re: 1.3.1.0 Video Driver Crashing

Postby Mister Negative » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:36 am

I have yet to encounter the problem on 1.3.1.0. I've loaded up this version over a dozen times and everything seems to be fine on my end. Of course now I've probably cursed myself...

i7 2700k
16GB of RAM
Win7 64-bit
Nvidia GTX550TI Running Drivers 290.53

If it happens to me I'll post back in this thread.
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I can force the Red X across the 4DO(1.3.1.1-rev1) window on Win Vista 64-bit, if I launch 4DO and then ctrl-alt-del and start Task Manager. Although the video is gone, the sound etc still carries on as if it's just the video that's not updating. Health indicator also stays green.

Assuming the Red X BryWI means is the one in the attached picture.

Q6600@2.4GHZ
8GB Ram
1GB ATI HD4870 , with Catalyst 12.4
Win Vista(64-bit)
Attachments
redx.jpg
redx.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 16028 times
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

The crash concerns me for sure. I'd like to try to solve it now before I forget about it and it escapes into obscurity.

Can we ensure that the driver crash Bry sees is the same that l_mcgregoruk? If Bry can recreate it the same way as l_mcgregoruk, then I'd imagine that they are the same crash as long as they look the same in the debug log. I will try to recreate it too.

If you have more time to spare, could you try to recreate this in 1.3.0.0?
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Ok I figured out what is causing the crash, kinda. It has to do with priorities of applications that try gain "always on top" status. There was an app running on my laptop called VAIO Messenger. It is always running but it is hidden (still shows in applications tab in task manager) and seems to be always on top. Every now and then when I take my laptop out of hibernation it will contact sony servers and look for messages. While it does this, sometimes I will see a long thin black box in the upper left. This box will absolutely be on top the screen until it's done which sometimes is a few seconds due to my laptop coming out of hibernation. I will see it sometimes too after the crash. I shutdown the app and now I can't recreate the crash.

Now, with the Ctrl/alt/del thing. I did this but I did not get the RED X, however... It did actually cause 4DO to stop updating the Video all together Due to the win7 ctrl/alt/del screen being on top of everything always.

6/4/2012 5:05:55 PM Thread exception: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_DEVICELOST: Device lost (-2005530520)
6/4/2012 5:05:55 PM Thread exception: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_DEVICELOST: Device lost (-2005530520)

IT's weird that just starting task manager doesn't cause it though. task manager is always on top. So there must be other methods of "always on top", or it is caused by some method of hiding applications. So this is basically a conflict with other apps/screens that is coming up now because of a recent change. I definitely would not blame it on the filters themselves but somewhere in the video code you changed to get 4DO ready for filters.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 pm

It could also be in the dx9canvas. I have not been able to crash the driver in GDI yet. and ctrl/alt/delete does not halt the video in GDI. I hope this limits things down for looking for culprits.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Hmm I just got this driver crash again even without that application running. Maybe I was wrong about it being something related to apps always on top. I am pretty sure that it is not happening in GDI mode though. If I find out any other clues as to what is happening I will be sure to add the info here.
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Okay, I'm guessing it's a pretty generic error then. I don't know a lot about DirectX, but I'm guessing the app is supposed to gracefully handle giving up the video device during operation. I think the task manager problem has been around a while (I vaguely rememeber hitting it a long time ago). I'll do some R&D into this idea.

Return to “General Forum”