PLEASE HELP all I get is rolling lines for roms & bios

General forum for 4DO
Johnny
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP all I get is rolling lines for roms & bios

Postby Johnny » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:15 am

Well, at least some of the mystery is solved seeing that the GDI rendering avoids it. It must be a problem with DirectX in some way.

I'm not an especially knowledgeable resource for DirectX, though. Were drivers up to date? Otherwise, I'd have to figure it out by debugging on the actual problematic machine. So, hopefully the GDI renderer can perform well enough for you. :)
rpgliker

Postby rpgliker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm

I am also getting only rolling lines. I've downloaded the three prerequisite files.
My graphics card is an ATI radeon x1300/1500, computer is: Vista, 1GB RAM, 2Ghhz AMD Athlon.

I don't know how to tell 4DO to Force GDI Rendering. I don't know how to make a batch file and don't know how you edit the desktop shortcut, both of which were mentioned here as a solution.

Tried setting the monitor refresh rate to 60Hrtz from 75 but that did nothing.

I used Freedo just to see if it was the BIOS or game ROM, but that emulator worked, so it isn't those.

Please could you give a 'for simpletons' explanation of how to change the shortcut.
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Right click on a blank part of the Windows Desktop, on the Menu that comes up choose New, then Shortcut. On the window that appears, click on Browse, then navigate to the folder where you installed 4DO(probably c:\program files\4DO) Select the file named 4DO.exe and click OK. The location should now be highlighted in blue, so click a part of the white area to the right, to deselect the selected(Blue) text, then type a space then -ForceGdiRendering. so it should read something like this

C:\Program Files\4DO\4DO.exe -ForceGdiRendering

Then hit next and pick a name that you want to use for the shortcut and press Finish.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Or you can download this attached file, extract the .bat file from the zip archive to your 4DO directory and double click this file to run 4DO in Forced GDI mode.
Attachments
forcegdi.zip
Batch File for 4DO to force GDI Rendering.
(149 Bytes) Downloaded 753 times
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Or just do that :)

BryWI
Something I noticed when trying to record from 4DO with Fraps was that it only recognises the top-left portion of the screen, I don't know whether to post that in the Beta forum or the General forum, I'm not even sure if the problem lies with SlimDX or Fraps. The attached screenshot shows the Fraps counter where Fraps "thinks" the lower right of the screen is.

Works fine in Fullscreen mode though, only windowed it has a problem with.
Attachments
Fraps4DO.jpg
Fraps4DO.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 16246 times
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 am

That is weird. I can't tell from the screen shot if you have double resolution rendering on or off since there is no 3d in that screen shot. It looks like you have smooth image resizing on, but that shouldn't be causing it at all.

I am going to take a stab in the dark here and say that the image filters are off, and as soon as you turn one on that fraps will think that the full window is in use again. Just a guess though. I suppose maybe it could be the opposite of that?

Also, If you need a temp fix... I know fraps can be configured for which corner the number is in. You can change it to upper left.

I wonder if there is something wonky going on in window mode rendering. If you can see what the filters do when they are on/off, I can try taking a look in the video rendering code for anything noticable. I probably wont find anything due to my limitedness in coding, but I never know until I try.
rpgliker

Postby rpgliker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Okay thanks for both fixes to their respective posters; it did work. I played Lucienne's Quest, though it is a bit difficult to move, even though the frame rate indicator is green. Guardian War is impossible though, guess I need a zippier computer.
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Yeah, none of the scaling mode's make any difference, same with double resolution rendering/smooth image resizing.

The screenshot's just got the fps counter in the bottom right, so you can tell where Fraps thinks the bottom right of the window actually is, changing the counter to display in the top left displays the fps counter in the top left where you would expect it to be, but only records a rectangle from there to where the bottom right is in the screenshot.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:14 pm

does resizing the window change the fraps counter/recording spot?
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Yes it does, Originally I tried resizing the window from the 640x480 to 320x240, because I thought it might have just been a 320x240 window it was seeing, but after just trying resizing it just now, If I resize it as far as I can, the bigger it gets to taking up all the screen, the nearer it gets to where it should be. So do you think my graphics cards working on it in what my fullscreen resolution would be, but Fraps is taking that before it gets converted/scaled for 4DO?

Return to “General Forum”