Linux / Wine compatability

General forum for 4DO
Dreygor

Linux / Wine compatability

Postby Dreygor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Hey Johnny,

I managed to get FreeDO up and running using WINE in Ubuntu Linux. However 4DO will not load at all. What dependencies or libraries are used with 4DO that are different from freeDO?

-Drey
BryWI

Re: Linux / Wine compatability

Postby BryWI » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 pm

all dependencies are listed on the downloads page with proper links to download them.

http://www.fourdo.com/downloads/

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtimes
2. Microsoft .NET 4 Framework Client Profile
3. Microsoft DirectX

SlimDX is also needed but is included with FourDO so that shouldn't be the issue. In fact, installing that can mess things up if FourDO needs an updated slimdx.dll. IT will always use the GAC'd dll instead of the one in the emulators folder if it finds it (unfortunately).

Also, the FourDO installer should install anything required, as long as it works in wine too. there is no installer for the recent betas on the forum though.
Dreygor

Postby Dreygor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:39 pm

OK I installed Microsoft .NET 4 Framework Client Profile and the full install of Microsoft DirectX and it runs! What i don't get is on a VERY powerful PC it says it's health is red but has no chop @ 60 fps.

The main issue I am having now is getting the controllers to work. Even the keyboard isnt working. It lets me set the keys but then it's like the game does not recognize it. I will keep tinkering until I get it working.

Has anyone else tried this on linux?
Dreygor

Postby Dreygor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 am

Shot a little video with no sound but it shows I got it working .. sorta :)

http://youtu.be/SCTjQZQXtk4

1)I started by using a Ubuntu distro of Linux.

2)Made sure all the drivers I needed were loaded.

3)Installed WINE and updated it, then installed Winetricks.

4)Used WINE and installed 4DO using the windows installed EXE (I would kill for your latest version - even beta version - as an installer.

5)Then using Winetricks I installed Microsoft .NET 4 Framework Client Profile and the full install of Microsoft DirectX. Use the full directX install not just the .dlls.

And that's where I am at. It seems that Linux is not forwarding the keystrokes to the program running in WINE. I Plugged in a XBOX 360 controller and got about the same thing. I tried a normal Linux game and the controller worked just fine. i just don't know how to get it forwarded to WINE.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm

That is completely weird that it lets you set keys, but then they don't recognize when you use them. I really don't know what to do about something like that. Hopefully you can figure it out or someone has an answer.
Dreygor

Postby Dreygor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:17 pm

When I get home from work there are 2-3 ideas I can try. Yeah I think its weird also.
onthebridge

Postby onthebridge » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Are there any plan of doing a linux version of 4DO?

that would be great! :)
Dreygor

Postby Dreygor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:04 pm

BAH my ideas did not work.

From talking with Johnny last night I am going to say no to a Linux release of 4DO.
Dreygor

Postby Dreygor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:30 am

OK. I have tried everything I can think of. 4DO apears to be running the games perfectly. It lets me set up the controls but still I have no control once emulation starts.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Dreygor

Postby Dreygor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 am

HAH HAH so I went and took a little break. When i came back I started trying all of the controllers in my house. The one that was recognized by linux and seemed the easiest to use was the xbox 360. However I had to uninstall of the joystick drivers in linux and then reinstall an ap called jstest-gtk. When I did that I was able to set controls in 4DO and they worked! Oddly i can still set the keyboard but it doesnt work .. very odd. However now games are very playable!

Enjoy the video with sound!

http://youtu.be/eLnSVjo8s94

Return to “General Forum”