Analog support?

General forum for 4DO
isamu

Analog support?

Postby isamu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi guys. First of all fantastic emulator! Can't believe how good this is! Thank you!

I used to own a 3D0 and realize the gamepad only supported digital directional controls(up/down/left/right), but would it be possible to code the emulator so that it supports analog controller inputs as well, so that we can use our steering wheel and pedals for smooth turning, gas and brakes for games such as Crash N' Burn, Need For Speed, etc? I tried playing Crash and Burn with my steering wheel but the deadzone and twitchy movement made it totally unplayable.
BryWI

Re: Analog support?

Postby BryWI » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I am not sure that what you are asking is possible until it is figured out how to get the emulated 3DO to think an analog Joystick/Wheel controller is connected. An attempt has been made to figure it out, but it has been proving to be difficult and still is elusive.
isamu

Postby isamu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 am

BryWI wrote:I am not sure that what you are asking is possible until it is figured out how to get the emulated 3DO to think an analog Joystick/Wheel controller is connected. An attempt has been made to figure it out, but it has been proving to be difficult and still is elusive.

Have you or anyone else proven that it is in fact possible to trick the 3D0 into thinking there's an analog device connected, even if the original machine didn't support it in the first place?
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 am

isamu wrote:
BryWI wrote:I am not sure that what you are asking is possible until it is figured out how to get the emulated 3DO to think an analog Joystick/Wheel controller is connected. An attempt has been made to figure it out, but it has been proving to be difficult and still is elusive.

Have you or anyone else proven that it is in fact possible to trick the 3D0 into thinking there's an analog device connected, even if the original machine didn't support it in the first place?

Well, that's kinda hard to answer in the way you asked it. But, the 3DO did have analog devices that the hardware supported. So, in theory, yes! The joystick has analogue input and works for some games, like Killing Time, Wing Commander 3, and Star Fighter. The 3DO mouse should also produce analog input of some kind.

But, I couldn't figure out how to emulate them. The FreeDO guys did have 3DO mouse input working at one point, so that's a ray of hope that someone can solve it again.
isamu

Postby isamu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Johnny wrote:
isamu wrote:

Well, that's kinda hard to answer in the way you asked it. But, the 3DO did have analog devices that the hardware supported. So, in theory, yes! The joystick has analogue input and works for some games, like Killing Time, Wing Commander 3, and Star Fighter. The 3DO mouse should also produce analog input of some kind.

But, I couldn't figure out how to emulate them. The FreeDO guys did have 3DO mouse input working at one point, so that's a ray of hope that someone can solve it again.

Ahh that is indeed interesting. I was mainly interested in Need For Speed, Crash and Burn, and any other car racing game.

Return to “General Forum”