1.3.1.1 Beta - Core updates

Versions uploaded prior to widespread release
Johnny
Site Admin

1.3.1.1 Beta - Core updates

Postby Johnny » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:06 pm

This version includes core fixes from Viktor. Several of the game-specific fixes have been eliminated, meaning the core emulation is now more accurate! :)

I have created a wiki page to track the testing of these "special" mode games: http://wiki.fourdo.com/index.php?title=1.3.1.1_Test

So far I've only found one problem in which Lost Eden fails to boot.

By the way, there is also a slight graphical fix included. One place this is affected is in the font at the bottom of the screen in Wing Commander III when selecting environment elements between missions (the font is now brighter). If you notice game elements off in color or brightness, please report this!
Attachments
4DO_1.3.1.1 - Revision 2.zip
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 1507 times
4DO_1.3.1.1 - Revision 1.zip
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 1375 times
Mister Negative

Re: 1.3.1.1 Beta - Core updates

Postby Mister Negative » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:10 pm

I'll test a few of these tonight, and will report back my findings!
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:35 pm

I'll see if I can get some testing time in tonight too. I have to update the wiki yet. I was also working on adding in Scale2x just to see it's perfromance in 4DO. I was trying to use the source changes as a guide to adding it in the emulator. After finally getting scale2x to compile in msvc last night my first attempt at adding it in failed but I have new idea I will try today. It wont be pretty! (newbie hack job alert!)

Doh! I had selective reading and didn't see the wiki page above. Great Idea!!! This forum software needs to highlight links better. (simple css edit?)

I think we will need to test a good few games other than whats on the list too. Core changes have been known to act up with games that worked perfectly before. I will add another section on that wiki page for other games tested when I get the chance.

P.S. I am thrilled that 4DO is getting away from game specific fixes! I've never been a fan of it. At this point though, seeing all the games getting emulated is nice.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 am

I tested street fighter 2, seal of the pharoah, and crash n burn. I am done for the night. Btw, I have notice some other aspects of the core like the FZ-1 bios animation runs better now, but still has some of the slow down like the original console had. SF2 intro is even closer now, but still a little off. These core changes seem to be pretty good so far. I am going to do more random game testing tommorow if I get some time. I want to make sure none of the changes broke any other games.

PS. my scale2x attempt failed miserably. lol. I at least got that thing to compile in msvc by changing all of the instances of __restrict__ to __restrict in the scale2x.cpp source I borrowed from fceux. Oh well. Also wiki should be all up to date now. Ok i will stop cluttering this thread. :)
Mister Negative

Postby Mister Negative » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:31 am

I also tested a few games and updated the wiki.

Working

If Blood Angels had the same issue as Space Hulk (same game, different region) then I suspect it's working fine. In Space Hulk, Vengeance of the Blood Angels I played a few levels, made sure to have multiple melee encounters and watched some FMVs. All was fine.

Novastorm booted fine for me whether I loaded the image from the BIOS or reset the system. I used the FZ-1 BIOS which I found users in the past had issues with. After about 5 minutes of play testing I encountered no issues.

Scramble Cobra booted multiple times without issue and I had no immediate issues playing the game.

Not Working
The Horde has terrible FMV playback. I saw maybe 1FPS. The FMV playback was fine in 1.3.1.0.

Twisted actually didn't boot for me in 1.3.1.0 but boots fine every time in the test version. That said, I did manage to get a freeze when starting a mini game once. This could be a fluke.
lenne

Postby lenne » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 am

Alone in the Dark 1 - Good
Alone in the Dark 2 -
BC Racers - Good
Corpse Killer - Good
D - Good
DOOM - Good
Killing Time- Good
PO'ed - Good
Road Rash -Good
Star Wars - Rebel Assault v1.0 - gamepad buttons do not respond
Theme Park - Good
Wolfenstein 3D - Good
Quarantine - Good
Last edited by lenne on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
l_mcgregoruk

Postby l_mcgregoruk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:04 am

The 3DO Interactive Sampler - Volume 1, now seems to work, although #5, orion off-road, only seems to work sometimes.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 pm

lenne wrote:Alone in the Dark 1 - Good
Alone in the Dark 2 - Freezes in Game
BC Racers - Good
Corpse Killer - Good
D - Good
DOOM - Good
Killing Time- Good
PO'ed - Good
Road Rash -Good
Star Wars - Rebel Assault v1.0 - gamepad buttons do not respond
Theme Park - Good
Wolfenstein 3D - Good
Quarantine - Good

Thanks lenne, I added most of these to the testing wiki page... The controls work for me in Star Wars though. Do you have bindings on all 6 controllers? Some games will not respond if six controllers are connected. A controller is only emulated as "connected" if it has keys or buttons binded to it. Only having one controller setup should fix your problem.

I also could not reproduce the crash you were talking about in Alone in the Dark 2. Do you have a save state just before the crash? I really don't know how to play this game so I just might not be able to get to the part where it crashes.
lenne

Postby lenne » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

BryWI wrote:Thanks lenne, I added most of these to the testing wiki page... The controls work for me in Star Wars though. Do you have bindings on all 6 controllers? Some games will not respond if six controllers are connected. A controller is only emulated as "connected" if it has keys or buttons binded to it. Only having one controller setup should fix your problem.

I also could not reproduce the crash you were talking about in Alone in the Dark 2. Do you have a save state just before the crash? I really don't know how to play this game so I just might not be able to get to the part where it crashes.

I have only one controller setup and nothing, and only in this game the problem (Testet with my xbox360 controller and too with my keyboard) and with 4DO v1.3.1.0 no problem and 1.3.1.1 with the FreeDOCore.dll from 1.3.1.0 no problem.
Last edited by lenne on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm

l_mcgregoruk wrote:The 3DO Interactive Sampler - Volume 1, now seems to work, although #5, orion off-road, only seems to work sometimes.

verified and added. Thanks.

I noticed you did sign up for an account on the wiki. Did you run into any problems trying to the add the information to the test wiki page? Just curious.

Return to “Beta Versions”