1.3.1.1 Beta - Core updates

Versions uploaded prior to widespread release
BryWI

Re: 1.3.1.1 Beta - Core updates

Postby BryWI » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:42 am

FMV sync should default to off. It locks the FPS to a fairly exact number that might not be correct behavior in all games. At least thats just my opinion. It really should only be used to fix games where FMV playback has oddities in sound (stuttering/repeating) or video. There are only 2 games that really benefit from the option, Wing Commander 3 and The Horde. Perhaps this option could later on be used as a game specific fix since it is only needed for a small handful of games. Also, random freezes in wing commander 3 can still happen, mostly on the intro videos.

I am not sure if Viktor gave you the code for the cd read status bar or not. It is quite helpful in my opinion.

EDIT: Also the only two problems I saw with revision 4 as per http://wiki.fourdo.com/index.php?title=1.3.1.1_Test was that Escape from Monster Manor might be running fast and crime patrol 2 has some weird fmv oddities that didn't exsist in the previous revision.

Hope your summer is ok so far. It's been hot, humid, and mostly drought conditions around here.
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:05 am

BryWI wrote:FMV sync should default to off. It locks the FPS to a fairly exact number that might not be correct behavior in all games. At least thats just my opinion. It really should only be used to fix games where FMV playback has oddities in sound (stuttering/repeating) or video. There are only 2 games that really benefit from the option, Wing Commander 3 and The Horde. Perhaps this option could later on be used as a game specific fix since it is only needed for a small handful of games. Also, random freezes in wing commander 3 can still happen, mostly on the intro videos.

I am not sure if Viktor gave you the code for the cd read status bar or not. It is quite helpful in my opinion.

EDIT: Also the only two problems I saw with revision 4 as per http://wiki.fourdo.com/index.php?title=1.3.1.1_Test was that Escape from Monster Manor might be running fast and crime patrol 2 has some weird fmv oddities that didn't exsist in the previous revision.

Hope your summer is ok so far. It's been hot, humid, and mostly drought conditions around here.

Off by default sounds fine to me. I still don't comprehend it fully, but at least it's out of the way and available as a rainy day solution. I worry about those 2 you mention that are reportedly ill-behaved. I'll test it later to better comprehend the impact. I'd hate to take a step backwards in the otherwise great compatibility so far; if it's bad enough I may ask Viktor what he thinks we could change. I'll be out of town for another week or so, though, so I have to postpone releasing again.

I'll also try to include the CD read status status feature. Viktor filled me in on how he implemented it. To clarify on a suggestion made earlier, I don't think I'll add it to full-screen.
BClaude

Postby BClaude » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Johnny wrote:Also, BClaude, concerning your issues with Twisted. Had you attempted to remedy the problem by changing the "FMV sync" option? You could try the revision 5 I'm uploading as well. Some of the issues you identify may be because of "double filtering" too, but only if the health indicator is turning yellow or red.

I'd like to give many thanks to everyone for the extensive beta testing! It's very helpful and allows us to be more safe and wary with these core emulation changes! :)

Thanks for the responses, Johnny and BRYWI. I'll try that out, and the new revision.

UPDATE:

Turning on FMV SYNC does nothing, and for some reason, it still remains 45FPS, even when "pausing" the video during a bomb. All the settings, filters are off. It might not be a Sync problem, maybe an bug in emulation, or something?

Pictures:

And no, I'm not running Windows 98 (heh, you think I would? :lol: ), this is Windows 7 x64 with no effects, themes, etc. Visually, it's the bare minimum, and no programs are running under 4DO.

Also, for TNFS (The Need for Speed), the game horriblly lags in the Races. (Must be the 3D polygons, or something, but it lags like a mofo.) FMVs, though are OK, 60FPS.

I tested it in the old revision (R4), it might be the same for R5.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 am

I finally put twisted on my laptop to check it out using revision 4. It is slowing down in spots during videos, but it's nothing dramatic. This behavior also exists in 1.3.1.0, if you feel like waiting for the random (long) boot time :)
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 am

Johnny, I believe you are missing the all of the changes from revision 4. Revision 5 doesn't have the perfectly timed Super Street Fighter II intro, as you have already stated. I am just confirming this.
BClaude

Postby BClaude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 am

I finally put twisted on my laptop to check it out using revision 4. It is slowing down in spots during videos, but it's nothing dramatic. This behavior also exists in 1.3.1.0, if you feel like waiting for the random (long) boot time :)

Well, hopefullly we'll find out what causes this bug soon enough, right?
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 pm

BryWI wrote:Johnny, I believe you are missing the all of the changes from revision 4. Revision 5 doesn't have the perfectly timed Super Street Fighter II intro, as you have already stated. I am just confirming this.

Okay, thanks for confirming. I'll work with Viktor to figure out out what's missing.
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:43 am

FYI it would seem we misplaced the core code changes for Revision 4, which introduced changes that make the SF2 intro matched correctly. So, I'm unsure of when this beta will get released, but I'd prefer that we hold off until we get this resolved.
NoSoup4you

Music in Slayer is finnicky

Postby NoSoup4you » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 am

On 4DO 1.3.1.1 beta 4, oftentimes between floors, after dying, or even during gameplay the music will stop, and I am unable to get it back with any amount of toggling etc. I have to save and load my game using the NVRAM, which can get to be quite bothersome. I was unable to load the game at all in 1.3.1.0.

That is all.
BryWI

Postby BryWI » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Johnny wrote:FYI it would seem we misplaced the core code changes for Revision 4, which introduced changes that make the SF2 intro matched correctly. So, I'm unsure of when this beta will get released, but I'd prefer that we hold off until we get this resolved.

ouch! According to the change log for revision 4 Viktor posted with the update, it was just changes to CLIO... and of course the cd status. I am starting to hear reports of oddities though within revision 4 though. There is still the possible monster manor running too fast, and now I hear that music is acting up in slayer. The 3DO is a troublesome beast, isn't it?

Return to “Beta Versions”